Granulated Diatomaceous Earth is recommended as a soil conditioner and turf amendment, improving aeration and water retention in your soils. Can be used in place of water crystals.
DEGranules are made from primarily pure silica. Fresh water, organic, non-toxic and environmentally friendly, the porous structure of the diatoms supports it’s ability to draw moisture and to move water and nutrients laterally through the growing medium. It is a durable granule improving drainage, oxygen access and gas exchange in a soil (or medium), but offers a very high CEC (cation exchange capacity).
The granules may be recycled, adding nutrients to the soil. The soluble silica which is essential for healthy and robust plants and will support a high level of resistance to disease.
DE Granules are compatible with other soil components and it may be blended with fertilisers, or used as an additive for potting mix.
It is inert and chemical free, making it a fantastic soil conditioner. Use it to break up a heavy, clay based soils, or to retain moisture in sandy or light soils, or as a top dressing. Use it when planting fruit trees and shrubs to give your new plants a nutritious and healthy head start.
- Natural, Organic and Environmentally Friendly. Safe to spread - NO DUST.
- DEGranules provide a natural alternative to ‘water crystals’, releasing water back into the soil when required
- The soluble silica supports a high level of resistance to disease and can act as an insect control (earthworm friendly)
- DEGranules also help activate, fortify and revitalise the soil, resulting in much healthier plants.
- Mix into soil for a soil conditioner. Will retain over 6 times its weight in moisture and will release it as the plants need it. It may also help with nematodes
- Antifungal properties – good for garden fungal growth
- Will help reduce garden pests when used in the soil and sprinkled on plants
- Beneficial as a soil additive-safe for earthworms
Being non-toxic and environmentally friendly, diatomaceous earth is an ideal growing medium for a wide range of plants, fruit, greenhouse vegetables, orchids and bonsais.
DEGranules can be blended with fertilisers, or used as an additive in your potting soil mix. As a general rule, about 10% by volume blended into the root zone or soil is sufficient. More can be used for container planting.
It's very effective in breaking up hard pan, conditioning heavy clay soils; As we know the major problem in clay soils is the soil particles tend to stick together too tightly and clay soils need something to separate those particles so moisture and nutrients can permeate the root zone.
DE Granules are also excellent for sandy soils. In sandy soils, the DE particles absorb water that would otherwise just run through the sand, and make it available to the plants. This is why many golf courses use it in their sand-based greens and tees.
DE is compatible with other soil components and it may be blended with fertilizers; The addition of DE to soil amended with fertilizer may allow for more efficient use of fertilizer and reduce the impact that fertilizer has on the environment through leaching.
It can be applied into existing soils, sprinkled into the base of new plantings or used as a top dressing (non-dusting). DEGranules can be used as a growing medium for a hydroponics and bonsai. Also suitable to be added to cat litter.
DEGranules are Biogro Certified.
* DISCLAIMER: The Ministry of Primary Industries have provided the following statement in relation to DEBug. '...the agricultural chemical use of diatomaceous earth has been proposed to be put forward as an exempt category at the next Regulation change. In the meantime, the ACVM Group will be working on a modified ACVM registration type for this kind of situation with very limited information requirements. Until this is in place, the product may be imported and used in New Zealand as if it is exempt from registration, as long as the applicable conditions in Regulations 7 to 13 of the ACVM (E&PS) Regulations 2011 are complied with, but this is only for the claim for use on or around plants'.